Hanging art or photographs on the walls can really brighten up your living space. No matter if you own your home or rent it, you probably want to be able to hang something on your walls without causing a lot of damage. For renters this is particularly important because you do not want to forfeit your security deposit.
Here are some tips for hanging pictures on your walls with minimal damage:
1. Make sure you are hanging the picture or artwork exactly where you want it by testing the placement with paper cut to the same size first. The last thing you want to do is make a hole in your wall and then decide you don’t like the placement.
2. To avoid damaging walls, use adhesive-backed picture hooks for lighter pictures weighing less than five pounds.
3. You can also use adhesive strips to hang your pictures or art, depending on the weight of your picture or art. These are very simple to use. You stick one side to the wall and the other side to your art. Then after letting them rest for about half an hour, you stick them together. They are easy to use and also simple to remove.
4. Straight pins and sewing needles also work well for light pictures and make only a tiny hole in your wall that is barely noticeable.
5. When hanging heavier pictures or art, make sure to use a stud finder to locate a stud in the wall.
6. Instead of using a hammer and nail for heavier pictures, use a wall anchor kit. You will still be left with a hole, but you will avoid causing a hairline crack in your plaster.
By following the tips above you can still beautify your home by hanging pictures or art while minimizing damage to your walls.